Monday, May 21, 2007

87. Last time you didn't fake me out

Not sure where I first heard of Ike Reilly. I'm sure it was the Internet, but don't know what lead me to his music. I like lyrics with a bite - funny, topical and or political. I like music that doesn't overwhelm the lyrics. Reilly's music and lyrics were what I was looking for. Maybe the fact that Ike Reilly is from the Chicago area made me give him a listen. However I heard of him doesn't really matter. I bought a couple of his CDs and tried so see him live at least twice, finally succeeding in doing so at one of my favorite venues. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed with his live show persona.

I love the opening stanza in the first track on his out-of-print album Salesmen and Racists.

Last time I couldn't make you come
Last time you didn't fake me out
Last time I got a little bit wasted
But this time I don't think you'll mind
'Cause I'm funny:

This song was described as
"...the most infectious song you'll never hear on commercial radio. Here, Reilly roasts pinheads of all shapes and sizes whose sins are forgiven because of their humor..."

-Music Box Online, November 2001, Volume 8, #11
I'd rip the track off my cd and upload it but Ike kinda scares me a little. Wouldn't want to get on his bad side.

If you get a chance to hear the song, do.

He's funny.

No comments: