Thursday, April 19, 2007

55. The worst car bombing

Twelve years ago today I entered the staff break room at school to stunned faces and news on the television that a bomb had been set off outside a Federal Building in Oklahoma City. When I saw babies being taken out of the smoking ruins on television, all I could think about was getting home to my children. That day was one of the longest I could remember.

My husband worked in a Federal Building in Bethesda but my children were in a church preschool, not one associated with my husband's workplace. Nevertheless, I needed to hold them.

After the bombing, Dan Bern wrote the following song.

Oklahoma

4 comments:

Otter said...

I would love to see him in concert.

Otter said...

Moments like these show the true soul and character of a person, good or bad.

Indigo Bunting said...

I first heard about it getting off a Metro (Silver Spring?) and passing some business that had a TV on... horrible.

Cedar Waxwing said...

Lisa - May 16 @ the Birchmere in Alexandria. I'd even buy your ticket.

He's been in your neck of the woods though. Just wait.

It was horrible. The worst thing for me was knowing it was a US citizen.