Thursday, March 15, 2007

20. First Rock Concert

I remember very little about the first rock concert I ever attended. I'd heard of Boston, but didn't follow the band and probably couldn't name a song sung by the band. I certainly cannot name one now. With the lead singer's suicide last week, Boston has been in the news lately. Thus my memories of this band. (which are next to none)

It was 1978 and I was working as a waitress at an all night pancake house to pay for yet another trip to England. One of my co-workers - her name escapes me now but I'm pretty sure she's mentioned in my journal of the time - had an extra ticket to see Boston in Chicago and asked if I'd like it. We'd ride in together and it would be fun. I figured it would be an experience if nothing else, so accepted the ticket.

I don't even remember where the concert was although a website indicates it may have been at Comiskey Park. Our seats were pretty high up - I remember there were a lot of lights and maybe even smoke on the stage. The security was not very good because everyone around us was smoking pot - as were the folks I was with. On the way there, the guy who was supposed to be my date showed me a little glass vial he brought and explained it was a drug that you inhaled that opened your veins or something and you got high. He may or may not have used it at the concert - I don't remember. Much later I heard more about a drug called poppers and guessed that the vial contained a nitrite inhalant. I was glad I didn't try it like he'd suggested I should.

All-in-all, I cannot really say I was disappointed in my first rock concert because I had no expectations. However, the music was too loud, the people were too rowdy, the smoke was too thick. Not my cup of tea, I suppose.

But if you are a Boston fan, here's a little something for you.

7 comments:

Otter said...

Maybe you don't remember the show b/c you were high on the surrounding fumes.
I wish I could remember what my first concert, I'm coming up blank. Maybe something at Ravina. Did you ever go there? A lovely place to hear a show.

Indigo Bunting said...

I always confused Boston and Kansas. The groups.

Cedar Waxwing said...

Lisa - that could well be the reason I don't remember it. Actually the reason I remember that this was my first rock concert is because it was my only real rock concert - the kind in a stadium.

Never went to Ravinia - we went to Popular Creek a couple of times though - will post about that.

As an aside - I heard that Ravinia is going to move some of their shows this spring and early summer because of the competition from another musician that's passing through the area this year.

Me too, Indigo.

Indigo Bunting said...

Mmmm, cicadas! I was bummed to miss the 2004 invasion in your area of the 17-year types, having been around in 1970 and 1987 for it.

Otter said...

The archive is closed on your link. What competition from another musician? I asked one of my bros. and he didn't know what the heck I was talking about. Do tell.

Cedar Waxwing said...

The cicadas are going to be in Chicago this summer and Ravinia is moving a bunch of shows inside:

The Ravinia Festival in the north suburb of Highland Park has reworked its summer concert schedule because of the buzz created by a certain red-eyed bug.

Cicadas, known for their loud hum and unique 17-year life cycle, are expected to be out in droves this June.

So officials from the almost 103-year-old music festival moved several outdoor concerts indoors. They have also pushed the date of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's annual summer concert to July 6, which is later than usual when the chirping critters are expected to calm down.

Ravinia Festival chief executive Welz Kauffman said the subtleties of the orchestra's performance would be lost if it had to compete with the bugs.

Otter said...

Thanks! That's right, it is time (17 years)again.
and thanks for that update as I make my Chicago travel plans around the Ravinia schedule.