Wednesday, March 7, 2007

12. Jonathan Livingston Seagull

I don't remember when I first read Jonathan Livingston Seagull, I think my mom gave it to me for Christmas one year - or maybe my friend Cindy introduced me to it. Perhaps both.

I must have liked the message in the story - although I'm not sure now what it was. These days I try not to get caught up in the philosophy du jour, but back then I was young and impressionable, I suppose.

Of course I saw the movie when it came out and had to own the soundtrack. I don't remember if I was a Neil Diamond fan before this movie or not. I was a Neil Diamond fan for a while though - although thinking back, the only album of his I owned was JLS.

Listening to the music now, I can see why I liked it. It's easy to listen to. I can also see why I didn't bother digitizing it. The chanting is a little annoying.

It got me interested in seagulls - a bird rare on the US prairie back in the early 1970's. And that might have been one catalyst that brought me to being a birder.

I mistakenly identified the dove of peace necklace given to me by Mr. Topolewski as a thank you for playing along with his birthday present scheme. I thought it was a seagull, and called it Jonathan when I wore it.

Gulls now don't very often make me think of Jonathan. Unless they look like they are really enjoying their aerodynamic feats.

4 comments:

Otter said...

My older sister (she's 51) loved this LP. Looking at the cover brought back a flood of memories...like seeing an old friend that I hadn't seen in ages. Cozy.

Cedarwaxwing said...

I know what you mean - I feel the same way looking at the cover - but didn't realize it until your comment.

Cedarwaxwing said...

Oh, by the way. Cinema art bethesda is another of my monikers I thought I was signed onto cedarwaxwing...

Dennis said...

Nice to see my Photo Music Creation
take Wings and Fly to the Blogs

Dennis
dennis59