Monday, March 5, 2007

10. And Now for Something Completely Different

I didn't watch much television when I was in high school. Not sure why, but I didn't. There were two programs that I did watch, however. Religiously. I put up a fuss if was forced to miss them.

Sunday nights were my TV nights. Homework was done and I'd earned a break. At 8:00 I watched Masterpiece Theatre. It was a perfect program for the Anglophile I was turning into. I don't watch it much anymore, but the theme music still makes me shiver with delight.

Right after Masterpiece Theatre, WETA in Chicago, ran Monty Python's Flying Circus. The theme music for that program cheers me up. I occasionally watch an episode of the Flying Circus. It doesn't give me the belly laughs it used to. Either I've lost my sense of humor, or I know all the jokes. My kids still laugh at the episodes though.

And now for something completely different...

6 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

I love both those themes too. But you really got me with Twelve Angry Men. Having recently (well, somewhat) seen it on Broadway, I can't tell you how dead on this clip was!

Helen said...

How to Defend Yourself Against a Fresh Fruit Attack still makes me hysterical...

Helen said...

I think I meant "laugh hysterically."

Sabine said...

Oh - that sesame street clip was great!

I dated a Monty Python quoter once. And all his friends quoted Monty Python. After a few hundred times, you just want to knee the next person who says, We are the knights who say NI! right in the boys.

Otter said...

Every Sunday night on WTTW at 11:00 we watched Python and laughed our butts off.
And mm don't go kneeing me 'cause I still quote Python.

Sabine said...

No promises.